Boss

Posted by :: sixtwentyseven :: | Posted in | Posted on Sunday, August 23, 2009



Looking at the dates, I'm rather surprised I haven't been writing anything in here. Ok, some little updates:

1) Just tried my first time in prawning and for the first time in my life I've touched a live prawn, and twitching off its pincers with my bare fingers. Not a very nice thought and not a nice feeling either.

2) Supposed to run AHM, in the end ended up sick for the past 2 weeks. Just some nigging running nose + cough derived from the nasty sore throat I got just before the race.

3)Been back in school studying a part time diploma, which is very enjoyable but tiring as well.

4)Continue to watch Jap Dramas!

Speaking of which, you may be surprised that the reviews I'm giving is a tad too slow, given that the shows I'm watching is like the last season's shows. However, I believe in watching the full series before introducing to any of my friends.

One of the highlights for last season's show besides "Mr. Brain" should be "Boss". An interesting thing to take note is that for last season, there are AT LEAST 3 detective-themed shows on offer. The three I chose was "Boss", "Mr Brain" and "Hacho". Interestingly, "Hacho" was the longest serial with 15 episodes, which in the prime time drama hour, is quite rare.

Boss has a very strong cast with Amami Yuki as Osawa Eriko, the "Boss" of the team, with Takenouchi Yutaka as Nodate Shinjiro as her superior and a strong supporting cast consisting Toda Erika, Mizobata Junpei and Tamayama Tetsuji. Basically, Osawa was called back from America to set up a special operation branch withing the MPD. The members of this new branch were at first a bunch of misfits with some history behind them, but under the guidance of Osawa, begin to work together as a great team.

As usual, if the story plot is boring and serious, I wouldn't even attempt to start the series because my current taste is something light and easy to absorb. So happens this show fits the bill perfectly. Knowing Amami Yuki from "Topcaster", it would suggest this show will be a good one and I'm not surprised with the production.

If compared to "Love Shuffle", a totally different genre of show, I may say that "Love Shuffle" surprised me with the quality of the storyline. "Boss", on the other hand surprised me with an excellent soundtrack. The starting song and ending song are both sang by the same singer, Superfly. "Alright!!" is a very catchy song while "My Best of my Life" is a slow number. What I liked about Superfly is the power in her voice, which was carried very well in both songs.

Overall rating for the show: 9.5/10.

I couldn't give a rating higher than "Love Shuffle" =/