Seasons Change (เพราะอากาศเปลี่ยนแปลงบ่อย) [2006]

Posted by :: sixtwentyseven :: | Posted in | Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011


Thai movies (not the horror genre) are beginning to have a following in Singapore following the relative success of "Bangkok Traffic Love Story" and "Hello Stranger". My interest in thai movies are also piqued as well due to the rom-coms movies that the distributors brought in( think the above 2 again). Hence, through some you-tubing, I've managed to catch of "Seasons Change" that was shown in Thailand in 2006.

Seasons Change talks about a high school student, Pom (Witawat Singlampong), who decides to enroll into a music college to follow the crush of his life, Dao (Yuwanat Arayanimisakul). However, his father objects his decision as he fears for a hard life ahead for his son. In order to cover up his entry into music college, he asked Aom (Chutima Teepanat), the daughter of his father's doctor friend, to help him cover up the enrollment. As time goes by, Aom becomes his best friend in college. However, that relationship becomes complicated when Aom starts to fall in love with Pom and Pom has to decide between the orchestra or the band with his friends, as well as whether to accept the scholarship to study overseas.

While I do like the movie for its easiness and the use of the three seasons in Thailand to split the intervals up, I do have major grouses with the movie. Before I review the parts I didn't like, let me mention the things I liked about the movie.

I'm generally pleased with the main leads in this show. Witawat Singlampong is the kind of guy that girls would naturally swoon over due to his boyish looks and creditable acting. For the female leads, although Dao (Yuwanat Arayanimisakul) is the main crush, the character that stands out for me is Aom (Chutima Teepanat). If you find Chutima Teepanat familiar, that's because she acted in Hormones as well, as the girl who rejected her nerdy friend's affection. Her acting is pretty natural in the movie.

That said, I do feel the movie has a few flaws that sort of ruin the movie a bit. Firstly, because of the weak storyline (basically it's kind of direct), there isn't much areas for the actors and actresses to perform. The movie is easy on the eye yes, but if you're looking for good acting, then this movie ain't for you.

Secondly, I personally do not like the ending one bit. Yes, I do know where this story is heading to but I thought the ending is really rushed. The director doesn't look interested in answering some questions in the movie. The rushed ending doesn't help in the weak storyline.

Lastly, I apologise to the fans of Yuwanat Arayanimisakul as I really felt that she's a vase in the whole movie. Not many lines for her, just need to make sure that she looks pretty in the movie and that's about it. She definitely wasn't given a chance to expand her role more and her interactions with Pom is minimum, which gives me the feeling of why she even start to like Pom in the first place.

Overall, the pictures are scenic and as some reviews online has said, it will resonate with the young. However, I do feel that the movie comes out a bit short when it has the potential to be more. But, it's a nice movie to watch on a lazy weekend when the rain is pouring outside.

The only problem, I watched the movie on a hot afternoon. Sigh.