My Girlfriend is a Gumiho 내 여자친구는 구미호 (Nae Yeojachinguneun Gumiho) [2010]

Posted by :: sixtwentyseven :: | Posted in , , | Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010


I got to admit: I seldom watch Korean dramas. Usually I find Korean dramas to be draggy, even more so than Chinese or Hong Kong dramas. Another peeve I have against Korean dramas is that I do find some of their plots to be over exaggerating and their way of culture to be a bit peculiar. However, from time to time, I do find some of the dramas to be pretty interesting and funny. One good example is Goong, which starred Yoon Eun Hye. Another drama I enjoyed a lot is My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, a 16 episode comedy-fantasy drama that is still airing in South Korea at the moment on SBS.

The drama centers about a forbidden love between a human and a gumiho (a nine-tailed fox). The story begins when a man named Cha Tae Woong (played by Lee Seung Ki) meets a lively girl (Shin Min Ah) who is actually a gumiho who is awakened after 500 years sealed. Although, he is afraid of the gumiho’s power which traditionally eats human organs, but later he falls into her.

Shin Min Ah is irresistibly in this show as the gumiho. In fact, she's such a darling in the trademark white dress in this show. So much so, I just wish the whole show was about her and the main lead played by Lee Seung Ki. As usual, there's are the usual sidekicks like the male lead's aunt and grandfather, who are equally hilarious in their element. The goblin is played by No Min Woo of boy band 24/7 fame. Although I don't exactly like his image in the show as I thought it was a bit girlish (I seriously think he put on lipstick-like substance!), acting-wise, I thought he did okay. In fact, his character is a bit of a balance in the show as the rest of the cast is quirky and hilarious, while his role is more of the calmer-thinker kind.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the show and if you have the opportunity, do try to catch it as well!

The Main Song "Losing My Mind" by Lee Seung Gi



The Ending Theme "Fox Rain" by Lee Sung Hee