Solitude

Posted by :: sixtwentyseven :: | Posted in | Posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009

I always realised that certain solitude is essential, especially for thought. Of course, if you're feeling screwed up, then it's more of wild thoughts. But sometimes, just stepping out of the shell and experiencing solitude, especially in a crowded place, brings on a different perception.

I met up with a buddy this afternoon and to be frank it's a welcome break for me. Although i got to admit my break is long enough, this "break" is essential in breaking the monotone in my life. We met up at a new mall in Orchard road just to check out the shops there. As we met, chat and ate, I realised after all these years, nothing much have changed about it. The usual banter is there, some common likes and of course some common differences. Then at the corner of my mind, suddenly it may not be the case. We have grown older by the second and things still remain the same?

We parted at Borders around 7pm. He was rushing back home due to his insanely heavy laptop while i was trying to finish the latest edition of a computer magazine. Just as I finished reading it, a de javu feeling began to surface: Solitude. Walking along the crowded streets, yet it feels like I'm walking the street alone. I remember a quote from my lecturer that city people are more lonely than you think. In spite of all the communication tools such as msn, facebook and ever connectivity, we may in fact be more lonely than we would expect. All the numbers in the phone may not reflect anything; in the end it's just a number.

2 incidents triggered my post actually. The first was seeing a friend hurriedly exited a shop and to another location in my opposite direction. The second incident was seeing a university senior and her almost 2 years old kid. In both incidents, I didn't call out to them. Instead, I merely stopped my footsteps a little and looked at them. At both instance I let out a tiny smile; merely knowing they're alive and well is enough.

Solitude allows me to view some incidents objectively. But then again, is it objective?