Up in the Air [2009]

Posted by :: sixtwentyseven :: | Posted in | Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010


I still remember the last show that really got me thinking was "Thank you for Smoking" and that show was way back in 2005. What I love about "Thank you for Smoking" was the witty dialogue and the true meaning of life and explanations about choices. These facts are also apparent in this new movie by George Clooney in "Up in the Air".

"Up in the Air" is about George Clooney acting as a Retrenchment expert where companies are too timid to fire their own workers and will hire professionals like him to help them fire their workers. Due to the current US economic situation, more companies are hiring firms with experts like him to carry out their retrenchment activities. For this job, he has to frequently flying around the country to do his work. However, just when he thought is the chance for himself to settle down, thing don't go as what he thinks.

I think the reason I liked this show a lot basically is the same reason I like "Thank you for Smoking". The dialogue's witty, the characters intriguing, but mostly of all, an ability to allow me to think about the issues that were mentioned in the show. I guess somehow or another, we may be able to relate to George's character in the show as well; how we disengage ourselves from the world, how we missed out on family and finally, how we realised how lonely we actually are.

Give it a try, catch it in the movies. I bet it'll worth your movie ticket.